Thursday, September 16, 2010

The "Frat" Sterotype

Coming into Ball State i knew rushing for a fraternity was something i wanted to do.  The first couple of weekends here, I stopped by a few of them and got a feel of which ones I wanted to check out.  ATO, Fiji, Theta Chi, and Sigma Chi were among these choices.  Before I came to Ball State, I was skeptical, because I was guilty of having the "frat" stereotype.  Meat head jocks that play beer pong, and for lack of a better term, are total douches just to get with the cheerleader girls.
During rush week I only really got to rush ATO.  I learned two things.
1. Don't call them frats.
      - "You don't call your country a cunt, don't call your fraternity a frat." This is what i was told; "frat" is              just a term used to stereotype.

2.  The stereotype isn't necessarily true.  (the following is true at ATO, and i assume most/all other fraternities)

They host charity events/fund raisers, and are a nonprofit organization.  They require a certain GPA to stay in the fraternity, and they require attendance at study groups.  People in fraternities come from all different backgrounds, with that, people have different backgrounds.  There are people that party every chance they get, and there are people who refuse to be around alcohol for personal beliefs.
 
I recently signed my bid at ATO, and I am ecstatic for what is in store for me.  It is a large commitment, in the sense that I am a part of something for life.  Everything I do reflects on ATO.  That being said, I believe being a part of a fraternity is going to keep me in line.  I know i have brothers looking out for me and making the best for me.  If they see me slipping up they will be sure to set me straight again.

This blog essentially was rambling, but I just decided to write about it because I have heard many people discouraged by the "frat" stereotype.  There is a fraternity for every type of person, you just have to go out there and find it.  I only rushed ATO and i was skeptical until the president talked with me about their values.  I love everything they stand for.  ATO is not about being popular jock, we have those, but we also have our fair share of chess nerds.  Give fraternities a try, don't give in to things you hear.  Experience it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment